[Open-access] Nominations now open for the first MIT Media Lab Disobedience Award

Peter Murray-Rust peter.murray.rust at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 9 09:11:54 UTC 2017

I wrote about this in several blog posts last year (e.g.
https://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/2016/05/02/a-commentary-on-sci-hub-3n-legal-aspects/
). AE is a classic example of civil disobedience - an unjust law and a
reaction against it.

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 7:46 AM, Pranab Chatterjee <mail at pranab.in> wrote:

> This is brilliant:
>
> This nomination form is a secure form and the information submitted will
> not be shared publicly. Information submitted will be reviewed by the award
> selection committee only. If one of your nominees is selected as the award
> recipient, we will contact the winner for permission before announcing any
> personal information. We are mindful of privacy and the fact that many
> people and organizations doing disobedient work might not want to disclose
> their information to the public.
>

> <https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4M9-M_UC9rk/WK0_4yFqSjI/AAAAAAAAAVk/awXL_HvCcD8gP7gyLNy2PtyVP1Yjut5dQCLcB/s1600/icmrlogo.jpg>
>
> *Dr. Pranab Chatterjee MBBS, MD / Scientist B*
>
> +91 33 2363-3373 <+91%2033%202363%203373> | +91 987 1234 129
>
> *Indian Council of Medical Research* <http://www.icmr.nic.in/>
>
> *National Institute of Cholera and Enteric Diseases*
> <http://www.niced.org.in/>
>
> P-33, CIT Road, Scheme XM, Beleghata, Kolkata - 700 010, West Bengal
>
> Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/scepticemia> | Facebook
> <http://www.facebook.com/pranabchatterjee> | Weblog
> <http://www.scepticemia.com/> | Website <http://www.pranab.net/> |
> Instagram <http://www.instagram.com/scepticemia> | Skype:
> pranab.chatterjee
>
> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 1:13 PM, Pranab Chatterjee <mail at pranab.in> wrote:
>
>> Ross,
>> Thanks for pointing this out! Indeed Alexandra is a worthy nomination for
>> this position, but I fear the activities of the Sci Hub network might be
>> looked on to be a bit more than "disobedience"! However, as someone who has
>> benefited continuously from the Sci Hub work, I would love to nominate
>> Alexandra and the Sci Hub community. It will be interesting to see who
>> wins, and I am somewhat concerned this might bring to the attention of the
>> mainstream networks many of the occult groups that we tap into for our
>> academic survival. This is an especially big concern because we would not
>> want another hunt to ensue. Anyway, I am off to nominate Alexandra and the
>> Sci Hub fraternity!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Pranab
>>

>> <https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4M9-M_UC9rk/WK0_4yFqSjI/AAAAAAAAAVk/awXL_HvCcD8gP7gyLNy2PtyVP1Yjut5dQCLcB/s1600/icmrlogo.jpg>
>>
>> *Dr. Pranab Chatterjee MBBS, MD / Scientist B*
>>
>> +91 33 2363-3373 <+91%2033%202363%203373> | +91 987 1234 129
>>
>> *Indian Council of Medical Research* <http://www.icmr.nic.in/>
>>
>> *National Institute of Cholera and Enteric Diseases*
>> <http://www.niced.org.in/>
>>
>> P-33, CIT Road, Scheme XM, Beleghata, Kolkata - 700 010, West Bengal
>>
>> Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/scepticemia> | Facebook
>> <http://www.facebook.com/pranabchatterjee> | Weblog
>> <http://www.scepticemia.com/> | Website <http://www.pranab.net/> |
>> Instagram <http://www.instagram.com/scepticemia> | Skype:
>> pranab.chatterjee
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 5:49 PM, Ross Mounce <ross.mounce at gmail.com>
> [...]

Reader Emeritus University of Cambridge +44-1223-763069
and
ContentMine Ltd