[Open-access] New blogpost: Why we need a public data infrastructure of scholarly publishing costs

Danny Lämmerhirt danny.lammerhirt at okfn.org
Wed Oct 25 05:26:12 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Apologies for cross-posting.

Open Knowledge International is pleased to announce a new blog post
titled ‘Understanding
the cost of scholarly publishing - Why we need a public data infrastructure
for publishing costs
<https://blog.okfn.org/2017/10/24/understanding-the-costs-of-scholarly-publishing-why-we-need-a-public-data-infrastructure-of-publishing-costs/>’.

As we celebrate International Open Access Week
<http://www.openaccessweek.org/>, we wish to highlight the lack of
financial transparency in the scholarly publication system. How much is
paid for scholarly communication? Do current publishing models work in the
service of research? How can more financial data help to understand
problems in the publishing system? These questions are extremely hard to
assess at the moment, because we simply lack the data for it.

In our blog post we make the case for a public data infrastructure of the
cost of scholarly publication. The post summarises evidence from different
studies to explain the drivers of financial opacity, its detrimental
effects on scholarly publication, and outlines steps that we can
collectively take towards a public data infrastructure.

Since Open Knowledge International is planning substantial work in this
field, we would love to invite your feedback. Maybe you have thoughts on
how you would like to move the topic forward? Maybe you plan activities in
this area?

We would love to learn how your upcoming plans and interests align with
this topic. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with us and email myself
and Sander van der Waal (Head of Network and Partnerships) at
research at okfn.org. We are happy to arrange a short call.

In any case, please do feel free to share our blog post widely in your
networks.

Warm wishes,

Danny Lämmerhirt

--
*Danny Lämmerhirt*
Researcher & Research Coordinator at Open Knowledge International

Email: *danny.lammerhirt at okfn.org <danny.lammerhirt at okfn.org>*

Twitter: @danlammerhirt <https://twitter.com/DanLammerhirt>

Skype: danny.lammerhirt1

http://okfn.org | @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN> | Facebook