[open-archaeology] Open Knowledge Conference (OKCon) 2010

Anthony Beck ant.beck at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 09:29:31 UTC 2010

I was invited to present at this. I've just got round to submitting my title
and abstract (too much on.... in a very good way :-)

Anyway title and abstract below. Slides will go up on slideshare under
DARTProject http://www.slideshare.net/DARTProject.

I'll take mindmaps of the presentations I attend and share these on my
server (it would be interesting to find out if others use pirate pad at this
event). I'll let you know the link.

<shamelessPlug>
BTW the DART project is a heritage remote sensing project that will employ
open science principles (it started on the 1st April when I was immediately
thrown into half term :-). You can find more details on scribd
http://www.scribd.com/dart_project or you can follow DART_Project on twitter
</shamelessPlug>

Best

Ant

Talk title: Dig the new breed: how open approaches can empower
archaeologists

approaches can bring to the heritage sector in general and specifically to
archaeology. I will discuss the nature of archaeological knowledge
acquisition and the relationship between data, theory and practice. This
will be followed by a description of the current data collection and,
predominantly synthetic, dissemination process. Examples will be given on
how opening up access to different information sources ('grey' literature,
synthetic repositories, primary data) can empower archaeologists and improve
the heritage knowledge base.