[open-archaeology] starting

Eric C. Kansa ekansa at ischool.berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 29 02:14:26 UTC 2010

following Rufus, I'm especially interested in the use of open data,
because use can be an important motivation for its creation. Misuse
would be an issue many worry about to, though I think data would be
misused open or not. I'm just voicing a concern many have told me for
not wanting to be more open.

Alternately, some uses only require access to data, and licensing is
less immediately relevant. I'm thinking here about using datasets as
reference / comparative material. This seems to be a common use.
Regional analysis could be advanced with shared legally/technically open
data, but a critical issue here is obtaining enough relevant open data
to make analysis across different datasets meaningful. This issue is
probably of more strategic importance for advocates of open data in
archaeology.

As far as discussion, here's some simple guidelines we use. The
copyright / licensing discussion is relevant here:

http://opencontext.org/about/publishing

Best!
-Eric

--