[open-archaeology] Open Data from Oxford Archaeology

Stefano Costa stefano.costa at okfn.org
Mon Mar 22 16:08:21 UTC 2010

Il giorno lun, 22/03/2010 alle 15.14 +0000, Joseph Reeves ha scritto:
> Dear all,

Hi Joseph,
thanks for sharing this great initiative.

> I'd like to invite you to a sneak preview of the Oxford Archaeology
> Library site we've been working on here:
>
> http://library.thehumanjourney.net/

I'd like to report a statement from Chris Puttick in reply to my
specific question about licensing of contents:

> > One important question: I see no explicit license for the documents
> that> are available for download.
> >
> > While I hope the license can be open (CC-BY or CC-BY-SA for example
> -
> > http://opendefinition.org/ ), I would strongly recommend to state it
> > explicitly, even if it is "all rights reserved" or anything else.
> >
> > An open license would allow for all kinds of derivative works, and I
> see> a huge potential for OA Library in this direction.
>
> Fair point, never occurred to us because we're so deep into the open
> archaeology thing; I guess we were assuming CC-BY-SA, proper
> viral-like :)

This sounds like one of the many good things about OA Library, and the
most relevant for the discussion in this working group.

Ciao,
steko

--
Stefano Costa

Coordinator, Working Group on Open Data in Archaeology
http://wiki.okfn.org/wg/archaeology
The Open Knowledge Foundation
http://www.okfn.org