[open-archaeology] Ethics, archaeology and open data

Verhagen, J.W.H.P. jwhp.verhagen at let.vu.nl
Tue May 11 11:50:21 UTC 2010

>From this side of the pond, and my own limited experience with these issues, I would say there are two things worth considering.

The first one is concerned with legal issues regarding copyright. As far as I understood, but this may not be true for other countries, the contractors of archaeological 'heritage management' research can legally claim the right of distribution of data and reports (note that the 'intellectual copyright' always remains with the researcher). They can thereby restrict access to data and reports to trusted parties. In the Netherlands, this has been re-interpreted in 2007 to the degree that reports and data have to be made accessible to registered archaeologists through digital repositories. As far as I can tell, this policy is mostly adhered to in the case of commercial digs, although contractors can still enforce an embargo for a limited period of time. This system can easily be extended to situations where we are dealing with data that will be used for scientific publication, but it can obviously not be forced on amateurs that are not accountable for what they do with their data.

The second thing is the accessibility of government data (open government is the current buzzword). Quite a bit of archaeological data falls into this category, and regardless whether we are afraid of treasure hunters, this has to be made available to the general public in one form or another. A well-known case in the Netherlands is the 'Landmark sentence'; a British company went to court to force the city of Amsterdam to make data on soil contamination available to them for free (http://www.raadvanstate.nl/uitspraken/zoeken_in_uitspraken/zoekresultaat/?verdict_id=35424). They could then resell digests of this to interested customers who wanted to build a house and know whether there were any restrictions on the building site or potential problems in the soil (archaeology clearly falls into the same category). While in this particular case the judgement was that investments made by the city of Amsterdam did not justify the fees they asked, it also means that governments can still ask money for data if they can prove that they have paid themselves for the construction and maintenance of the databases.

So it seems there are quite clear legal precedents that could be used to support the kind of open data approach you are advocating, but I think the financial issue might be more tricky in this respect

Best wishes,

Philip Verhagen