[open-archaeology] AIA and open access

Stefano Costa stefano.costa at okfn.org
Fri Apr 27 22:51:01 UTC 2012

Il 27/04/2012 23:21, Charles E. Jones ha scritto:
> AIA has responded publicly
> http://www.archaeological.org/news/8905
>
> This is a good start,

A very promising start indeed. I would like to thank you and Sebastian
for turning a potential fight (or flamewar, to be more specific) into a
dialogue.

I have read the letter that Leif wrote. I think it reflects the views of
many of us, and addresses the AIA position in a more general way than a
specific exegesis of the editorial that started it all. That letter is
our way of building a dialogue, not only a position statement.

There may be an error at the end of line 169, or instead I may have a
wrong view on British humour. I have added an excerpt from the AIA
mission statement, that I found relevant in that point of the text.

I've signed it, and I ask all those who see an opportunity to make open
access more widespread and accepted on the basis of an informed decision
to do the same. I think the next challenge will be our ability to move
this same dialogue to other countries (Italy and Germany come to mind in
this moment).

Thanks a lot to Leif!

Stefano