[open-archaeology] open-archaeology Digest, Vol 23, Issue 1

Patrick Hadley ph618 at york.ac.uk
Wed Mar 14 12:07:53 UTC 2012

Dear all,
in the past weeks there has been an informal exchange of e-mails among
people interested in proposing a session on "Open Data in Archaeology"
at this year's Open Knowledge Conference (OKCon), the major event
organised by OKFN taking place this year in Helsinki:
http://okfestival.org/ ‒ the whole event is September 17-22, 2012 but
OKCon will take only 2 days (in case you were already thinking "oh but
Finland is sooo expensive, 5 days are too much!").

You can find more details and comments at
http://archeo.okfnpad.org/okcon2012 and feel free to add yours: every
small bit matters.

Several people are interested and think it would be a Very Good Idea™ to
do this. But we also think it would be much better if one person (or
even more than one!) could stand as a coordinator for submitting the
proposal, collecting everyone's feedback and making this happen as a
really comprehensive and relevant event where archaeologists can talk to
each other and to other researchers doing open data in a friendly
environment.

There are some institutions and projects you'll see, that's also nice ‒
even though everyone but me is from the UK. I am personally too busy:
taking this effort would some up with lots of others and I would just
end up doing a bad job at many of them.

I am looking forward to volunteers who will take on this initiative, and
I am available to give any further information they might need (either
on this mailing list or via private e-mail).

All the best, ciao
steko