[open-archaeology] Archaeology and CKAN.........DART

Ant Beck ant.beck at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 11:11:35 UTC 2013

Dear All,

Many thanks Stefano and Rufus for these links. I was particularly struck
by Max Ogden's Dat project:https://github.com/maxogden/dat

In light of this I thought it timely to share our new CKAN repository
with you: http://dartportal.leeds.ac.uk/

It currently hosts all of the data for the DART project:
http://dartproject.info/

The repository hosts over 1tb of data under open licences. We have
developed an automated ingest sequence that adds rich metadata to each
of the resources in the collection. The repository itself is CKAN from
the OKF. It employs the OAI-PMH plugin (which needs some tweaking) and
we are in discussions with the ADS about the practicalities of
harvesting this data and in the future expect this to go out to other
organisations (Europeana, etc.). I also hope to secure longer term
support from the University of Leeds which may mean attributing DOIs to
each of the resources so that if they are relocated in the future the
DOI will be maintained as a constant identifier (we may migrate the data
over to FigShare/ADS etc. if longer term support can't be found).

As the data (please note some is zipped) is openly exposed we can build
processing scripts pointing directly at the resources. This allow us to
share our processing, analysis and visualization scripts with the
community which should kick start some more collaborations.

I am also developing a backend UML which formally integrates the
resources within a PostGresql environment (the database resources will
also be available as csv tables within the repository for alternative
access). This will be the basis for a data-mining environment. I also
hope to use D2RQ http://d2rq.org/ to expose this data as RDF (although
that may depend on further funding)

Be warned: we are still tweaking and uploading data.

And as a final shameless plug we are holding a workshop in Leeds that
will discuss the project. Of particular interest to this group is the
afternoon session where we have discussants (practitioners, curators,
policy makers and other stakeholders) for an open debate. It is likely
that much of the discussion will cover open-data and open-archaeology.
There are bursaries available. You can find details at:
http://dartproject.eventbrite.com

Best wishes

Ant