[open-archaeology] Open Access and Professional Society Ethics

Eric Kansa kansaeric at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 17:39:24 UTC 2013

Dear Open-istas,

I'm working putting the issue of Open Access onto the agenda of the Society
for American Archaeology (SAA)'s Committee on Ethics. This committee has
very little real power, but it can make it more difficult for professional
societies to adopt actively harmful positions, as happened with the
Archaeological Institute of America (AIA).

I asked members of the committee on how to go about getting this issue on
their agenda. They said the main problem when many members raise ethical
issues is that they often fail to articulate some clear and concrete
courses of action or changes in policy. Mainly they need some to see some
concrete steps that they can recommend to the board. I started on a Google
Doc to get the ball rolling:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/13aelFgGrCM-OaF6brnUmqZ-HJ_q286u0x6n5CBp5Tg0

It is open for editing and I'd love everyone's participation.

Thanks!
-Eric