[open-archaeology] Open Data Licences and the Heritage Lottery Fund (great guidance but recommend the NC clause) - lobbying activity

Ant Beck ant.beck at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 21:25:54 UTC 2013

Dear All,

TL/DR: We would like to influence the Heritage Lottery Fund to change
their data licence from CC-BY-NC to CC-BY to stop data fragmentation. Do
you support this?

I've been in communication with Lorna Richardson over the past few
months about the Heritage Lottery Fund guidance entitled “Using digital
technologies in heritage projects”. This is a truly wonderful and
forwarding looking piece of work which IMHO opinion has a substantial
flaw; they mandate that any content they fund must be made available
under a CC-BY-NC licence. I'm loving it until the Non-Commercial clause.

I believe they have done this with the best of intentions but do not
quite see the potential negative implications the NC clause this may
have over the medium to long term.
I have spoken to one of their managers and they are somewhat perplexed
as to why NC might be a problem. I said I would get in touch with a
number of organisations, get a concensus and then get back to them
(although likely to be informally through Bob Bewley in the first
instance). This is the first step in this process.

Together with Lorna we have created a document which outlines the impact
of NC as we see it and have set forward some recommendations to try to
influence HLF to change this clause (at least for the data elements - I
do have sympathy with their arguments that the data creators should be
in the best position to financially exploit the resources they generate
particularly if this is images, video or books (but not data (I don't
consider raw photos to be data per-se))). The recommendation is to
organise a workshop (under the auspices of OKF or ADS??) with key
stakeholders in place. The outputs can be used to catalyse an immediate
re-draft or inform a future re-draft (depending on how they take the
recommendations!).

You can find the document here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nw8kwSYdcLgf_QFo5sugRgrwtDtYZomeJ4Sh9T-T46Y/edit?usp=sharing

It is open to edits and comments: please feel free.

Please be aware this is primarily of UK interest. However, the
implications are global.

I would like to find out if:
this document reflects the views of the members of this forum (i.e. can
I sign it off as representative of this forum).
how we can get OKF to provide support for this activity (someone with
decent debating skills at the workshop with a rounded legal knowledge of
the CC licences and their impact on the data landscape)
which other forums/stakeholders to canvas (Antiquist/ADS, etc.)
Views on stakeholders to invite
Views on funding (HLF may not fund this activity)
and obviously critique of the document itself.

I've pasted the executive summary below.

Thanks for reading this far :-)

Best

Ant

Executive Summary

The HLF have produced a guidance document entitled 'Using digital
technologies in heritage projects'. This document establishes a 21st
century agenda for funding agencies by recognising the long-term role
that project content play in science and social agendas. The Open Data
in Archaeology working group strongly endorses this document and
believes that improving long-term access to project content will have
immense impact across domains and have particular benefits for engagement.

However, the Open Data in Archaeology working group has some concerns
about the use of the Creative Commons by attribution non-commercial
(CC-BY-NC) licence for all project content. Whilst we see the benefit
for many project resources we would question the benefit of this licence
for resources described as 'preservation technologies'. We feel that
whilst CC-BY-NC may provide some short-term benefits it has the
potential to produce license incompatibilities which may introduce
profound problems in the medium to long term. It has the potential to
fragment the data landscape creating pockets of knowledge which are
rarely used in mainstream analysis, research or policy making. This will
be further exacerbated when automated data aggregation and analysis
systems become the norm. We believe that such fragmentation goes against
the intent of the HLF document which is clearly focused on
accessibility, engagement and enjoyment by all.

We would like to engage in further discussion with the HLF on these
issues and propose that a workshop is established to bring together the
major re-use stakeholders under the umbrella of the Open Knowledge
Foundation (who will provide legal, technical and practical advice on
licence issues).