[open-archaeology] Open Data Licences and the Heritage Lottery Fund (great guidance but recommend the NC clause) - lobbying activity

Ant Beck ant.beck at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 13:54:34 UTC 2013

Thanks All so far:

OK: Lets make the workshop generic (I will re-word - although if someone
else dives in I wont complain)

PLEASE ADD YOUR NAMES TO THE LIST :-)
I will then make the statements about the signatories and not about the
Open Archaeology group

Andy: comment in line

On 08/02/13 13:52, Bevan, Andrew wrote:
> I agree with Leif that it might be nice to move from the specifics of
> the HLF case to the general, especially with regard to any possible
> workshop. Moreover, strategically, it might also be best to suggest
> that the HLF itself funds such a workshop as a continuing marker of
> its willingness both to consult further and thereafter lead on the issue?
>
> Also, I vaguely wonder wonder whether the current document should
> address the public domain/CC-0 style licenses vs attribution licenses
> distinction a little bit more? Many would argue that the former is the
> only clear-cut way to avoid some of the data fragmentation issues
> raised, as even proper attribution becomes a tangle over the long term
> (and despite automated attribution methods). However, raising this too
> strongly would certainly be counter-productive as the important debate
> is about NC.
Agree: I don;t want to annoy people at too early a stage