[open-bibliography] Workshop on Open Bibliographic Data and the Public Domain, Berlin, 7th October

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Tue Aug 17 17:51:50 UTC 2010

This is now announced:

  http://blog.okfn.org/2010/08/17/workshop-on-open-bibliographic-data-and-the-public-domain/

Registration is now open:

  http://publicdomain.eventbrite.com/

You can propose a session / topic / discussion / project here:

  http://okfnpad.org/pdobd

More info below...

= Workshop on the Open Bibliographic Data and the Public Domain =

== Details ==

  * Where: Rooms 108/108a, FU Berlin, Garystr. 21, 14195 Berlin
  * When: 7th October 2010
  * Register: http://publicdomain.eventbrite.com/
  * Tag: #pdobd
  * Notes: http://okfnpad.org/pdobd

== Overview ==

This one day workshop will focus on open bibliographic data and the
public domain. In particular it will address questions like:

  * What is the role of freely reusable metadata about works in
calculating which works are in the public domains in different
jurisdictions?
  * How can we use existing sources of open data to automate the
calculation of which works are in the public domain?
  * What data sharing policies in libraries and cultural heritage
institutions would support automated calculation of copyright status?
  * How can we connect databases of information about public domain
works with digital copies of public domain works from different
sources (Wikipedia, Europeana, Project Gutenberg, ...)?
  * How can we map existing sources of public domain works in
different countries/languages more effectively?

The day will be very much focused on productive discussion and
'getting things done' -- rather than presentations. Sessions will
include policy discussions about public domain calculation under the
auspices of Communia (a European thematic network on the digital
public domain), as well as hands on coding sessions run by the Open
Knowledge Foundation. The workshop is a satellite event to the The 3rd
Free Culture Research
Conference on 8-9th October: <http://wikis.fu-berlin.de/display/fcrc/Home>.

== Sessions ==

Some ideas for things to do (please add!):

  * Data sharing policies which will support automated calculation of
which works are in the public domain in different countries
  * To what extent can we do automated calculation of which works are
in the public domain based on readily available data sources?
  * Discussion / drafting for a 'manual' for opening up bibliographic data
  * Discussion of the role of bibliographic data to help determine
which works are in the public domain in which countries (to build
services like publicdomainworks.net)
  * Discussion / hacking on key technologies -- e.g. versioning for
data, RDF, data stores, user services, ...
  * Future of open bibliographic data -- what services people would
like to see (e.g. using data as backbone for new kinds of research
tools in digital humanities, representing data on maps/timelines)
  * Open bibliographic data / LOD
  * add things here! ;-)

--
Jonathan Gray