[open-bibliography] Public domain identification at the University of Michigan

Karle-Zenith, Anne annekz at umich.edu
Wed Aug 18 11:21:41 UTC 2010

Apologies for cross-posting...

In response to the recent post announcing the upcoming Workshop on Open Bibliographic Data, we would like to make interested parties aware of efforts underway at the University of Michigan to identify works in the public domain in the HathiTrust Digital Repository ( http://www.hathitrust.org)).

We are currently halfway through a three year-long grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services to build a Copyright Review Management System ("CRMS") to identify works published in the United States from 1923-1963 that are in the public domain.  Staff at the University of Michigan have been reviewing volumes in the repository since 2007, and under the grant project we have formalized our efforts, instituted a "double-blind" review process, and built a database to store information about our determinations. We also recently trained staff at three other institutions, Indiana University, University of Minnesota, and University of Wisconsin, to join in our efforts.  At this point (including pre-CRMS) we have identified approximately 47,000 volumes in the repository that are in the public domain, and those works are now available as full-text in HathiTrust ( http://catalog.hathitrust.org/).