[open-bibliography] comprehensive bibliographic database of "open" resources?

Ian Ibbotson ianibbo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 16:36:39 UTC 2010

I know it's *terribly* old fashioned... and I hate to sound like a
broken 8 track... but index data still maintain an amazing registry of
all the openly searchable bibliographic databases using IRSpy at
http://irspy.indexdata.com/. The data is open in the sense that anyone
can search it, and if I recall, it provides you an interface that
proxies for the collections in the database, allowing you to search
many of them at once. there are trendy restful and nasty old  (And yet
still everso efficient) ASN.1/BER APIs. There are still a lot of these
"Old world" open datasets out there, that we're often quick to forget
about. I wonder if we shouldn't find a way to get them into CKAN
(Z3950 URL's and all).

The trouble with the old Z3950 API's in the brave new world is that
it's a search/retrieve protocol, rather than a distribution protocol
like OAI, so it's not that easy to take copies of the data. An
interesting side question... And one that I'm suddenly excited by
again.. is to ponder if it's possible to write an adapter that can
turn a z3950 target into a discrete set of data files with updates or
an even OAI feed. Sadly, not many Z targets support modified stamps or
even stable record identifiers.. But still..