[open-bibliography] comprehensive bibliographic database of "open" resources?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Aug 17 14:46:49 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Ross Singer <ross.singer at talis.com> wrote:

> Peter,
>
> It's interesting that you attack libraries for not doing anything; I think
> they would be more than happy to be given reasonable suggestions.
>
> I don't want to satrt a flame war - I'm not attacking them - I'm asking for
help. I want somewhere to reposit the result of a project.

> Actually, libraries generally blame *academics* for the sorry state of
> affairs in this arena:

And that is also correct. I think senior academics carry  more
responsibility.

 they absolutely refuse to care about the license agreements they sign off
> on to their intellectual output.  That being said, there are no rights on
> the metadata itself.  That can be indexed anywhere, it's just the content
> that has restrictions.

Not everyone agrees. If this is true then we can simply trawl the exposed
scholarly web.

> Plenty of universities have departments (in the library!) to help faculty
> negotiate greener licenses or to submit pre/post prints to their
> repositories, but you can only lead that horse to water.  Without some
> faculty support, it's going to be tough for libraries (esp. non-research
> libraries at larger universities) to keep up with all of the publications of
> their faculty.

I agree it's a problem. I am trying to help resolve it in a small way.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics