[open-bibliography] Crowdsourcing bibliographic data

Thomas Krichel krichel at openlib.org
Tue Aug 17 15:30:27 UTC 2010

  William Waites writes

>  On 10-08-17 16:00, Thomas Krichel wrote:
>
> > What is an "open-source service"?
>
> My understanding is "a service that runs only on
> free software"

  The fact that the software is free is irrelevant if it's not
  available. Thus you need the service to be completely documented,
  meaning its maintenance scripts are available too. It's a tall order
  to maintain such a beast, and it can be difficult if it involves
  issues of user privacy.

  I believe that the Open Library Society's ARIW service at
  http://ariw.org is the only service that true conforms to this, but
  I would be interested in reading about others making similar claims.

> so you can download the software

  Well you would also need to get the data. For some data that is fine
  but for personal data this is tricky.

  I plan to think more about this issue in the fall.

> and run your own version of the service if you
> like. The AGPL [0] tries to codify this in legal terms.

  Thank you for this pointer!

> [0] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.html

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel