[open-bibliography] Crowdsourcing bibliographic data

William Waites william.waites at okfn.org
Tue Aug 17 17:11:07 UTC 2010

 On 10-08-17 17:57, Tom Morris wrote:
> That's not what the AGPL is about at all.  The only network connection
> is that offering a network service using the AGPL software triggers
> the same source disclosure requirements that distributing the software
> does under earlier versions of the GPL.  It doesn't say anything at
> all about how you provide your network service, whether it can depend
> on other non-free software, or anything like that.

I really don't want to get sidetracked into a debate
about software licensing if it can be sensibly avoided.

But, open services are exactly the intended consequence
of using the AGPL. So if I build a service out of AGPL
software, I have to distribute the software so others
can do the same. I think it would be very unusual
for someone to make AGPL software that depended
on proprietary software but I might be wrong about
that.

Cheers,
-w

--
William Waites           <william.waites at okfn.org>
Mob: +44 789 798 9965    Open Knowledge Foundation

RDF Indexing, Clustering and Inferencing in Python
		http://ordf.org/