[open-bibliography] Public domain identification at the University of Michigan

Karle-Zenith, Anne annekz at umich.edu
Thu Aug 19 12:55:22 UTC 2010

Tom - thank you for your interest in our work. Here are answers to your questions:

 - I would characterize this as a manual process. We have built automated querying tools into the system so a reviewer can search the Stanford Copyright Renewal Database without having to type in the title, etc. But it is up to the reviewer to then identify if the renewal records in the search results match the work they are examining, and if they don't find any renewal records it is up to them to do additional searching via truncation, etc.
 - HathiTrust is not the originator of any of the bibliographic data -  the rights or terms of use are determined by others.  In this case, records will often by constrained by the OCLC terms of use.  I'm new to this list, but I am told that in a separate email, Rufus reported on a conversation with John Wilkin about Michigan's ability to identify Michigan records that might be free of constraints, and that sort of dialogue would need to take place with each contributing institution.
 - You can send feedback about issues with the metadata in particular record or volume in the HathiTrust Catalog via the "Feedback" link at the top right of each record
 - Reprints that have been designated as in copyright based on date of republication are being evaluated as they come into our workflow, either via copyright review work, or if one is brought to our attention by a patron, usually via the HathiTrust feedback mechanism. We check to make sure the work is a true reprint (i.e. No new copyrighted material has been added to the original work) and if we can confirm that we will manually update the rights status). I did review the work that you cited and updated the rights status.

Anne Karle-Zenith
Copyright Review Project Librarian
University of Michigan
University Library
320 Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library North
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1190
(734) 764-1288