[open-bibliography] Mendeley and open data...

Thomas Krichel krichel at openlib.org
Tue Aug 31 10:34:23 UTC 2010

  Jonathan Gray writes

> Something being online is *surely* not sufficient to make it open?

  No, but it's the basic start. The data has to be in a
  presentation-independent form (to avoid HTML scraping and suchlike).

> > Just make them make it available and then build services that
> > demonstrate that further use is in the data holders interest.
>
> I think there is a danger in having to constantly look for data
> holders approval/consent when reusing datasets. This is basically not
> so different from the permission based culture we currently have,
> which arguably stifles innovation. Knowing that I may invest a bunch
> of time into doing something and the data holder may refuse permission
> if it is not 'good enough' or ask for a huge sum of money if it is, is
> surely a bit of a disincentive?

  It depends on the business plan. Most of the data we deal
  with is advertizing its creator or copyright holder. It
  is very unlikely that they will object. Getting them into
  taking positive action, e.g. upload a dataset, is much harder.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                http://authorclaim.org/profile/pkr1
                                               skype: thomaskrichel