No subject

Fri Feb 12 23:10:20 GMT 2010

clear. I would advocate removing those aspects that contradict this clear
statement - but it may be this has too many consequences at this stage, I
don't know.

> > Some of these issues have been discussed widely in the library community,
> > and although the conclusions there are perhaps far from perfect, it seems
> > that there is some significant overlap but with different terminology. In
> > particular I'm thinking of FRBR
> > (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_Requirements_for_Bibliographic_Records
> )
>
> The target users of the Freebase schema are everyday people, not
> librarians, which may account for some of the differences.  The
> emphasis is also on pragmatic usefulness with available data and
> available user interfaces as opposed to necessarily modeling
> everything perfectly.

I'm in favour of this approach - whether for librarians or others.

> > What you are defining here as a 'book' seems to have much in common with
> > what FRBR terms a 'work'. For me it would make a lot of sense if there
> could
> > be some work to pull this together in some way.
>
> Yes, they are basically equivalent.  I'm not sure how you'd like to
> see this pulled together.  I don't think adding a mention of FRBR is
> going to help the Freebase user who is trying to decide "What type(s)
> should I use with this data I want to enter/query?"  What actions did
> you have in mind here?

Fair question - I'm probably not sure what I mean either. I guess I was just
seeing several pieces of work that seem to be heading in the same direction
and asking the question of whether there are synergies that can be
expoited.

Owen

--0015174c15d422353f048a51b505

=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padd=
ing-left:1ex;">Hi Owen. =A0The purpose of the exercise that Anne is driving=
 is to fine<br>

tune the Freebase type descriptions to match the actual usage, not<br>
make substantive changes. =A0What you&#39;re seeing is reflective of the<br=

scheme that&#39;s in use today.<br>
tyle=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"><di=
v class=3D"im">

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:12 AM, Owen Stephens &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:owen at o=
stephens.com">owen at ostephens.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; I have to admit that I think the definition of &#39;book&#39; given he=
re is slightly<br>
&gt; confusing as it takes a commonly used term and defines it as something=
&gt; different.<br>
term &quot;book&quot; to mean at least a couple of different things. =A0Peo=
ple use<br>
it to mean both the author&#39;s work as well the particular editor or<br>
copy in our library. =A0Another possible choice would be to avoid the<br>
use of the term altogether since it&#39;s potentially confusing, but I<br>
think it provides a useful anchor to help orient people. =A0They want<br>
information on &quot;books&quot; not &quot;works&quot; or &quot;manifestati=
ons.&quot;<br>
us term even in daily usage, and also agreed that most people find it helpf=
ul to think about &#39;books&#39; and dropping the term would be more confu=
sing.</div>
il) that the first part of the definition &#39;<span class=3D"Apple-style-s=
pan" style=3D"font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(34, 34, =
34); line-height: 19px; ">A book is a written work or a collection of writt=
en works in book form.&#39;, is contradicted by other parts of the definiti=
on.</span></div>
t-size: 13px; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); line-height: 19px; "><br></span></div=
nt-size: 13px; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); line-height: 19px; ">From my perspec=
tive this first part of the definition is a good focus, and clear. I would =
advocate removing those aspects that contradict this clear statement - but =
it may be this has too many consequences at this stage, I don&#39;t know.</=
span></div>
border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"><div class=3D"im">&gt; Some o=
f these issues have been discussed widely in the library community,<br>
&gt; and although the conclusions there are perhaps far from perfect, it se=
ems<br>
&gt; that there is some significant overlap but with different terminology.=
 In<br>
&gt; particular I&#39;m thinking of FRBR<br>
&gt; (<a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_Requirements_for_B=
ibliographic_Records" target=3D"_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functi=
onal_Requirements_for_Bibliographic_Records</a>)<br>
librarians, which may account for some of the differences. =A0The<br>
emphasis is also on pragmatic usefulness with available data and<br>
available user interfaces as opposed to necessarily modeling<br>
lockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px =
#ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

&gt; What you are defining here as a &#39;book&#39; seems to have much in c=
ommon with<br>
&gt; what FRBR terms a &#39;work&#39;. For me it would make a lot of sense =
if there could<br>
&gt; be some work to pull this together in some way.<br>
 like to<br>
see this pulled together. =A0I don&#39;t think adding a mention of FRBR is<=
br>
going to help the Freebase user who is trying to decide &quot;What type(s)<=
br>
should I use with this data I want to enter/query?&quot; =A0What actions di=
d<br>
you have in mind here?<br>
ure what I mean either. I guess I was just seeing several pieces of work th=
at seem to be heading in the same direction and asking the question of whet=
her there are synergies that can be expoited.=A0</div>

--0015174c15d422353f048a51b505--