[open-bibliography] Getting started with the Working Group on Open Bibliographic Data

Felix Ostrowski felix.ostrowski at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 25 18:06:57 UTC 2010

2010/2/25 Jim Pitman <pitman at stat.berkeley.edu>:
>> Jonathan Gray wrote:
>> >   1. We make sure that we have broad representation from existing
>> > projects and initiatives interested in open bibliographic data. It
>> > would be great if everyone could cast their eyes over the list to see
>> > if there are any obvious omissions!
>> >   2. We find a regular slot to have monthly virtual meetings. I
>> > suggest we do this on a weekday in the late afternoon/early evening
>> > GMT, e.g. 1700 GMT / 1800 CET / 0900 PST.
>> >   3. Once we have done 1. and 2., we aim to launch the working group
>> > in the next few weeks?
>> > How does this sound?
>
> Good for me. What kind of virtual meeting did you have in mind?
> How many participants can you handle with various media?
> From my experience, conference call gets out of hand with more than
> about 5 participants.

Sound good to me, too. +1 for the concern regarding conference calls.

> What exactly qualifies as "open biblio data"? (Public domain? CC0, CC BY? with or without NC or SA clauses, ...?

As far as I know, the "Public domain" is no legal term here in Germany
(but we have a close match called "Gemeinfreiheit"). Maybe the Open
Knowledge Definition (http://www.opendefinition.org/okd/) should be
the guideline to classify bibliographic data (resp. it's license) as
open? NC would be out of the game then...

Cheers,

Felix