[open-bibliography] Getting started with the Working Group on Open Bibliographic Data

Koster, Lukas L.Koster at uva.nl
Sat Feb 27 13:36:38 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I am honoured to see my name in the company of so many well known people at http://wiki.okfn.org/wg/bibliography.
However, when I responded to a call on twitter some time ago, I actually only said that I was interested in promoting open bibliographic data. But I wanted to have more information about the ideas and objectives first. I still don't know what the OKF and this working group on open bibliographic data actually stand for.

I haven't agreed to actively participate in any kind of steering committee or similar. At the moment I do not have the time for monthly calls at all; I already have lots of calls for other volunteer groups. The Library of the University of Amsterdam, my employer, is currently offering open access to their bibliographic data only through the usual interfaces (web, z39.50, sru, etc.). They are also strong advocates of open access to scientific publications. I managed to get linked data/semantic web/rdf in the short term action plans.

So I'm interested in promoting open bibliographic data, but I still have not enough information about OKF, and I definitely don't have time for a very active, organising role in this group.

Lukas Koster
Head of Library Systems Department
Library of the University of Amsterdam