[open-bibliography] More verbs. Electronic 'Items' (Yes, another FRBR thread)

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Tue Jul 13 13:52:10 UTC 2010

Quoting Dan Matei <dan at cimec.ro>:

> They are different incarnations of that commonality. Especially the
> mp3 incarnation looks pretty
> different than the other 4 for me. How would you call these incarnations ?

For sure, in libraryland the audio book is a new expression -- the
same text but expressed differently. (Publishers consider it a
performance. For Music, different performances are different
expressions, so by analogy...) When the change is a change in
presentation format, but still eye-readable text, it's considered a
new manifestation. Uncorrected OCR... well, libraries don't have a
category for that, since they don't work with that. It probably needs
to be a special case of expression, like translation.

I wonder if the ISTC (international standard text code) will help us
out with any of these. I don't know if ISTC's would be assigned to
audio books or to OCR'd text, but they definitely would be assigned to
the various ebook formats. That would give you an identifier in common
between them even though the digital format has changed.

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net