[open-bibliography] RWTH Aachen library opens up their catalog data

Adrian Pohl pohl at hbz-nrw.de
Mon Jun 21 14:42:32 UTC 2010

Hallo,

with the RWTH Aachen University Library another German library opened up its catalog under a CC-0-licence. See http://www.bth.rwth-aachen.de/offbibdat.html. (They even used a OKFN logo. I don't really know why...) Their catalog contains (at the time of the export) 1.230.180  records.

The records stem from the hbz union catalog. The records' format is the MAB-based "hbz-Neutralformat" (like the foregoing exports). See http://opendata.hbz-nrw.de/projects/data-publishing/wiki/Hbz-Neutralformat for a german documentation. We aren't very happy with this format and are working on an easier to reuse format for the next update...

Anyway, as we think the important first step to Linked Open Data is the legal and political step of opening up your raw data we are very happy to see that another German library has decided to join the Open Bibliographic Data initiative.

Cheers,
Adrian