[open-bibliography] What bibliographic material is Open by default?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 24 14:44:13 UTC 2010

As part of the JISCOBIB project we shall be looking at what Bibliographic
material can be collected and transformed automatically. Clearly we need to
have the right to do this and I'd be grateful for clarificationas to which
components of published material are, by default, Open (or in the Public
Domain) and can be used without permission.

In #JISCOBIB (and I will be posting about this shortly) we can robotically
extract 10,000 papers from a single Open Access Journal (Acta
Crystallographica E, http://journals.iucr.org/e/ ). Because all material in
all papers is offered as CC-BY then we can make any legal re-use of this,
including creating a bibliography.

In the case of Acta journals each paper has been marked up with Dublin Core
and PRISM and we can extract this automatically. This gives the metadata of
authors, pages, journal, title, etc (I'll refer to this as bibliographic
material)..

My questions now include to excluding this to non-CC-BY material:
* if I go to a  page freely (gratis) visible on the web can I extract and
Openly re-use the bibliographic data without permission? (I exclude
Robots.txt from this discussion)
* if I go to a series of related pages (e.g. journal articles) can I extract
and Openly reuse the aggregated biblilographic material? IOW if I create a
table of contents can I publish that without permission?
* What are my rights in re-using the Abstract from a page freely (gratis)
visible on the web?
* if the page contains a series of References can I re-use those?
* are bibliographies in Europe potentially covered by the sui generis
database directive? If so is this by default?

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics