[open-bibliography] Draft development vocabulary for bibliographic metadata

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Wed Jun 16 15:09:16 UTC 2010

Quoting William Waites <william.waites at okfn.org>:

> As it is, it looks like a MARC record at a minimum consists in:
>
>     * one xyz:Manifestation
>           o one dc:publisher
>     * one (implied) xyz:Work
>           o one or more dc:contributor (or sub-properties like author,
>             translator, etc)
>           o one or more identifiers, bibo:isbn bibo:issn etc
>           o one or more dc:subject from a controlled vocabulary

William, I'm not quite sure what your "at a minimum" represents, so
this answer may or may not fit your use case.... however, MARC doesn't
actually have required fields, but most systems do make a small set
mandatory. Most of the required ones are in the 00X range, and many of
those are administrative data. Of the variable fields, the only one
that I have seen as mandatory is the title (245). That would be the
manifestation title.

In case you haven't seen this, there are statistics on the actual
field usage at:

http://www.mcdu.unt.edu/?p=45

I also want to note that some of the more useful data comes out of the
Leader and the 008 fields (resource type, date of publication,
language).

kc

--
Karen Coyle