[open-bibliography] Deduplication

Robin Houston robin.houston at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 15:03:56 UTC 2010

Hello William,

I don't have much background here, so I apologise if any of this is wildly
inappropriate.

This deduplication problem sounds pretty gnarly to me even without
introducing any speculative new ideas. Is there a good reason not to attempt
some of the more tried-and-tested approaches first? Of course there's an
enormous literature on text search and indexing, and ideally you'd need an
expert to point out the relevant parts (unless you are such an expert
yourself, in which case apologies!)

But a couple of non-expert remarks:

– the efficiency of step 3 could be hugely improved (from O(n^2) to O(n log
n)) just by indexing the text fields, even if you do it in a simple way like
dumping them all into a trie. It's not obvious to me (perhaps because I'm
being stupid) that your proposed algorithm would be essentially any better
than this, even if it could be made to work.

– bioinformaticians have a lot of experience of doing inexact string
searches of short strings against large databases, in the context of mapping
short DNA reads to a reference genome. The best algorithms (at least as of
last year) use the Burrows-Wheeler transform to create a compressed index,
with the effect that the whole index of the human genome can be held in RAM
on a non-ridiculous machine. Of course keeping the index in main memory
results in massive speed improvements. Whether such a strategy is practical
or useful in your case depends on both the size of the index and how fast
the algorithm needs to run. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/btp324

Happy to say more about any of this if it's at all useful.

All the best,
Robin