[open-bibliography] Dedicated list for open bibliographic technical (developer) stuff

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Jun 26 10:17:05 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>wrote:

> I wanted to give people a heads-up that a new open public mailing list
> has just been set up:

> The list is a dev(eloper) list for those working on open bibliographic
> tools and data including, but by means necessarily limited to,
> OKF-associated projects such as Bibliographica and the new
> JISC-supported open biblio effort.
>
> It has been created as an arena for more day-to-day technical stuff
> without the danger of over-burdening those with lesser interest in
> such matters! Anyone is, of course, welcome to join.
>
> This is great. I have posted the following suggestions about scope to the
*-dev (I list them here in case there are general issues). I assume that the
scope will settle down quite quickly and that people will not need to
crosspost:

It will be useful to scope out the scope of *-dev mails. My own list would
be something like:

* technical discussions of existing bibliographic standards (MARC, FRBR, DC,
PRISM, etc.)
* semantic transformation and loss between standards
* software for managing all aspects of bibliography (ingest, authoring,
transformation, semantification)
* technical aspects of licences (e.g. machine-readability, linking on web
pages);
* schemas and schema design
* identifier systems
* disambiguation
* text mining
* indexing (e.g. Lucene)
* crawlers
* "simple" subsets of metadata (what is the "minimum bibliographic entry")
* technology for recursive and nested bibliography
* technology for dynamic bibliography
* design of versions

I would also like the *-dev list to "own" formal specifications - e.g.
* where is the relevant part of the current MARC/FRBR/DC spec?
* how is a DOI resolved?
* definitive ISO codes for languages
* OKF bibliographic identifier system (I think we shall need one)
* links into LOD

I would expect the following to be more suitable for this list (*-discuss)
* details of a particular bibliography (unless they were technical or
generic)
* legal issues
* political issues
* policy on licences
* interaction with bibliographic authorities

To a considerable extent *-dev can act as the immediate log of experience on
#JISCOBIB and Bibliographica. This is because I suspect that those projects
will encounter most of the important generic problems in bibliography and
need generic solutions.

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust