[open-bibliography] introduction

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 29 14:50:36 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Patrick Peiffer <peiffer.patrick at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> allow me to introduce myself (thanks to jonathan gray for inviting me)
> i work at the national library of luxembourg (www.bnl.lu) where I
> manage the national consortium for scientific information (
> www.portail.bnl.lu, www.consortium.lu). In the Europeana Connect project
> i'm work package leader "licensing", drafting the agreements for partners
> (libraries, museums, archives, a/v archives) and end users. Non-profit wise
> I am project lead for CC Luxembourg.
> My main interest here: moving forward the liberal licensing of metadata by
> providing tangible examples of its benefits.
> Best,
> Patrick Peiffer
>
> Greetings Patrick and thanks for your input.

I'd echo Jonathan's call for removing NC. Completely open Bibliography
(CC-BY, PDDL, etc.) will be a major factor in advancing academic
infrastructure. It means that we can compute our own activity. Every
academic activity that creates or uses a piece of identified information is
potentially computable - and processable in huge amounts.

Bibliography is also something that is imemdiately understood by everyone in
the information infrastructure. So it sends a clear message about the
benefits of being Open. They more messages like this, the more it spreads
through the community and encourgaes others to do the same.

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics