[open-bibliography] introduction

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Jun 30 13:27:56 UTC 2010

Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
> Ideally we'd like to see a future where commercial or quasi-commercial
> organizations see the value of creating a market for Open knowledge.

Arguably, this already exists and has done for over 150 years - it's
the co-operative movement.  They're often-commercial organisations
which have education and information as a key principle.  We're
currently celebrating that as part of Co-operatives Fornight -
http://www.ThereIsAnAlternative.coop

I think libraries are already more familiar with forming and sharing
control of co-operatives than some sectors, so maybe this can be built
upon.  Sadly, the UK saw the BLCMP co-op demutualise in the 1990s.
Are there other library co-ops which readers think might like
open-bibliograph?

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software