[open-bibliography] Metadata for data dumps

Adrian Pohl pohl at hbz-nrw.de
Fri Mar 5 15:37:08 UTC 2010

Hallo,

my name is Adrian Pohl. I am very happy that this working group was
launched by the Open Knowledge Foundation. Thank you, Jonathan. I am
working at the Hochschulbibliothekszentrum Nordrhein-Westfalen (hbz,
http://www.hbz-nrw.de) one of the six german library consortia. For some
time now we are delving into Linked Open Data, its technical, political
and legal problems.

Hopefully we will soon put a few bibliographic databases in the public
domain in cooperation with some libraries. Naturally, there are some
questions coming up about how to best open up raw data. Besides the
questions where to put the data and how to best time and announce this
act (questions we will answer by ourselves) I got a question you might
be able to help me with:

How should I describe raw datasets? Does a vocabulary exist so that I
can describe the relevant properties of a dataset (size, number of
records, format, date of export, extent: whole database or part, query
parameters if only a part is opened etc.)?

I think it would be a good thing to describe an open raw dataset with
an rdf-file so at least the dataset could be a Linked-Data-Resource as a
whole... I've been searching for a vocabulary for quite a while but
couldn't find one. Any suggestions or do we have to create a vocabulary
ourselves?

What kind of vocabulary uses CKAN? Are there any plans to describe the
open datasets in rdf? Is the OKFN perhaps already working on a
vocabulary, Jonathan & Rufus?

Looking forward to your answers
Adrian

Adrian Pohl
Direktionsassistenz (Manager's assistant)
hbz - Hochschulbibliothekszentrum des Landes NRW
Tel: (+49)(0)221 - 400 75 235
http://www.hbz-nrw.de

Besuchen Sie das hbz auf dem 4. Leipziger Kongress für Information und
Bibliothek an Stand +11 auf Ebene 1!