[open-bibliography] Fwd: News release: Referencing made easy

Owen Stephens o.stephens at open.ac.uk
Tue May 18 08:44:06 UTC 2010

Thanks Jim,

In terms of the open vs closed sharing - while the 'MyReferences' tool we have developed makes use of RefWorks, much of the functionality we have developed does not rely on RefWorks as such. For example we support the idea of sharing references in any 'collaborative activity' in Moodle - this entails inserting an xml representation of the reference into Moodle forums/blogs/wikis and enabling functionality (such as 'export this reference'). None of this is tied to RefWorks. I would like to see some improvements in this area - for example it would have been nicer if we had been able to use RDFa and Bibliontology instead of an arbitrary xml representation - however I explain the reasons this didn't happen in my comment on this post http://ukwebfocus.wordpress.com/2010/03/25/microformats-and-rdfa/#comments

So while the sharing mechanism is limited to the Moodle environment - which I agree is not ideal - it is not tied to any commercial software.

In terms of the RefWorks T&C, your interpretation differs from mine, and the one implicitly supported by RefWorks. I believe the line you quote is about the use of the system, not the data stored in the system. I interpret the line to mean that we are unable to resell (or otherwise offer) the RefWorks service/software to others outside our organisation. However I do not believe this extends in any way to the bibliographic data stored in the system, and none of our discussions with RefWorks have indicated this is the case. As RefWorks supports the open publication of bibliographies as RSS (with the reference included as xml) it would seem that they do not intend your interpretation of the T&C either.

Finally I'd like to re-emphasise that although the MyReferences tool was the focus of the press release - perhaps being the most tangible output - it is not the sole focus of the project. Particularly for this list I would highlight the section on "Copyright, Intellectual Property Rights, Licensing and Reference Management". This brief section highlights some of the issues to consider, and quotes the recent JISC report on the Transport and Use of Bibliographic Records (http://www.jisclegal.ac.uk/Projects/TransferandUseofBibliographicRecords/TheBasics/Legalconstraints.aspx) in terms of reuse of bibliographic data. What would be really valuable to the project is any suggestions of how this section might be improved, or if there are issues currently missed completely - input from those on this list would be especially welcome.

Best wishes,

Owen