[open-bibliography] FRBR examples

Christopher Gutteridge cjg at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu May 27 12:07:12 UTC 2010

I think it makes more sense to pick some things that people will want to
do with the data, and make a good spread of those possible. As far as I
can see, the rationale for work/exp/man is the different ways people
would want to query/reference/retrieve a thingy.

Roughly speaking;

    * Work = Do you have a copy of Shakespeare's Hamlet?
    * Expression = Do you have a copy of the unabridged Battlefield
      Earth? (hopefully not) -- references about paragraphs are to an
      expression.
    * Manifestation = Do you have a copy of the 1st edition of Alice in
      Wonderland --references about page numbers are to a manifestation

(Item is obvious for books, but probably represents also having a copy
available for download.)

Most bibligraphic systems will keep data about work/exp/man against a
single identifier. Sometimes this will be easy to unpack (ISBN belongs
to the manifestation), sometimes not.

I think when looking at what to use for open bibliographic formats we
should start with some educated guesses as to some things people might
do with open bibliographic data; Off the top of my head...

    * use 3rd party tools to browse a library catalogue,
    * create a distributed ABE books,
    * build a reading list,
    * cite things in a semanticly enabled document format,
    * keep track of their personal book/dvd/cd collection,
    * an amazon wishlist style file for your foaf profile,
    * library research (as in studying libraries),
    * finding next-best versions of unavailable items (eg. finding the
      pre-print for a cited journal article).

Christopher Gutteridge -- http://id.ecs.soton.ac.uk/person/1248

/ Lead Developer, EPrints Project, http://eprints.org/
/ Web Projects Manager, ECS, University of Southampton, http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/