[open-bibliography] FRBR examples

Christopher Gutteridge cjg at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu May 27 14:40:15 UTC 2010

On 27/05/10 15:14, Rob Styles wrote:
> And yet, in many contexts the movie will provide an appealing, or even
> preferred, substitute for the book. Yet by recognising the movie as a
> work we no longer recognised the relationship with the novel on which
> it is based. Even more so should we consider the relationship between
> Rome and Juliet and West Side Story, or the relationship between Mama
> Mia and the Abba songs.

Such relationships should be described by some kind of extension, if at
all. Describing relationships like this semantically is difficult and of
limited value for the effort and complexity required.

If I want to read a copy of the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, then
any copy in a language I speak is fine. An audio book could/should be
considered as just-another-manifestation, but a film or audio drama is
just a related work. Relationships between different works is an entire
rabbit hole of its own which is not essential to providing a useful
model. It can be added to a working model later, probably with different
datasets requiring different ways of modelling such things.

--
Christopher Gutteridge -- http://id.ecs.soton.ac.uk/person/1248

/ Lead Developer, EPrints Project, http://eprints.org/
/ Web Projects Manager, ECS, University of Southampton, http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/