[open-bibliography] OKFN blog: Bibliographica, an Introduction

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Thu May 27 17:31:13 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM, William Waites <william.waites at okfn.org> wrote:
> Blog post introducing Bibliographica and giving some background information.
> Extract below, complete text at
> http://blog.okfn.org/2010/05/20/bibliographica-an-introduction/
>
> Bibliographica, an Introduction
> May 20th, 2010
>
> It’s time to talk a bit about Bibliographica, a new project of the Open
> Knowledge Foundation.
> Bibliographica is designed to make it easier for scholars and researchers to
> share and collect information about work in their field. It provides an open
> source software platform to create and share semantically rich information
> about publications, authors and their works.

Instead of starting yet another "one, true, open bibliographic
database," was there any consideration given to attempting coordinate
and improve communication among the existing efforts like BibKN, Open
Library, and the raft of others out there?  It seems like that would
be a lot more useful and productive than ratcheting up the level of
competition and duplication yet another notch.  It certainly seems
true that the existing efforts aren't particularly collaborative in
their approaches, but I don't see how adding yet another stovepipe to
the mix is going to improve things.

"Open" is about more than just putting the word in your project title
-- whether it be Open Library or Open Knowledge Foundation.

Tom