[open-bibliography] FRBR examples

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Sun May 30 18:30:28 UTC 2010

Quoting Ben O'Steen <bosteen at gmail.com>:

> I think there is a mismatch between what exists and the FRBR
> compartmentalisation. What we really have are items with
> multidimensional* relationships to other items that only make sense in
> context.

... snip ...

> I would suggest that there is a lot of mileage in allowing people to
> share what their perception of what levels like these could be used for
> in a live system. We may find the need for several types of Work or none
> at all. I would gamble on Expression and Manifestation rapidly
> collapsing together for the benefit of all ;)

I agree, and this is why I would like to start experimenting with a
wildly relationship based set of data. I need to do that to see what
the result would be if we have:

A expresses B
C expresses B
D expresses A
D expresses B

I need to see it with actual bib data, because my imagination is
insufficient to do it abstractly. The question becomes: what can we
infer from the relationships? How messy can they get before things
fall apart? Are there relationships that are more *right* than others?

kc

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net