[open-bibliography] Sharing bibliographic user data

Tim Spalding tim at librarything.com
Thu Nov 4 14:39:36 UTC 2010

Excuse me if this surpasses the purposes of this list, but I wanted to
start a conversation about how to accomplish the sharing of user data
related to bibliographic data, and keep it open.

Basically, many institutions and sites are gathering user data
relative to books—tags, reviews, lists, etc. How can that data be
shared?

Let's say, for example, that two libraries were collecting tags or
reviews and wanted to share that data in an open way. How would they
do it? What should the balance be between openness, privacy, and
keeping users in control of their data? Is there an open license that
requires you to refresh data, so a user can release their review but
expect to be able to update it? Should institutions sharing tags
include primary keys relative to users, or just submit total tag
counts, etc.?

Any thoughts?

Tim

--