[open-bibliography] Identifiers

Young,Jeff (OR) jyoung at oclc.org
Mon Nov 22 16:19:04 UTC 2010

William,

I think it would be best if DC upgraded their vocabularies to OWL to avoid this ambiguity. Here is a suggested start for the overhaul:

:identifier a owl:DatatypeProperty ;
	rdfs:subPropertyOf dcterms:identifier .

:identifierRef a owl:ObjectProperty ;
	rdfs:subPropertyOf dcterms:identifier .

OWL is mentioned a few times in the recent DcamInContext document, but only in relation to application profiles and constraint languages:

http://dublincore.org/architecturewiki/DcamInContext

I think that OWL should be more fundamental. For example, the DCMI Type vocabulary looks like it should be a plain old OWL ontology suitable for use with rdf:type:

http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/
http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-type-vocabulary/

Jeff