[open-bibliography] [open-heritage] Europeana factsheet on Open Linked Data

ianibbo at gmail.com ianibbo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 11:20:54 UTC 2010

Heya Adrian...

> In April Europeana already published a "Public Domain Charter"[3]
> adressing the licensing of digitized public domain works as Europeana
> content. Has there already been any cooperation on open content or an
> exchange of ideas between the OKFN and Europeana?

I had a good chat with Mary R from europeana local about the wider
question of OKFN/Europeana cooperation at the recent ISKO event in
london. My recollection is we left it with Mary speaking to a few
people up the europeana food chain on my behalf. I'll chase Mary.

I think this loops back to the previous question about how we position
ourselves wrt existing efforts (Thanks Mia for saying you thought
there was some merit in that btw). We really need to develop good
convincing arguments why the licensing is (a) so important and (b) not
going to cost the earth to implement. Many of these institutions are
already sharing data and content on a very successful, but ultimately,
informal basis. IMHO cultural institutions are already well advanced
on the "Open" agenda. The problem for us is that promoting
open-licenses, without being able to easily piggy-back the argument on
"open access" (Lower case intentional) is tricky (And potentially
boring as heck).

Not sure that makes much sense, it was clearer in my head :/

Ian.