[open-bibliography] Comments on transformed BNB data

Deliot, Corine Corine.Deliot at bl.uk
Wed Nov 24 16:19:39 UTC 2010

@ Makx. Many thanks for your explanation. I think I've just demonstrated that "using different prefixes from common practice can create confusion" ;-)

@William, yes the 9999 comes from MARC practice. The data mapped to dc:date comes from the 008. For a continuing resource, the beginning date of publication is contained in 008/07-10 and 008/11-14 contain the characters 9999.

I have one last question about the comment made in a previous post about the URN:ISBN "additionally it is uncommon th uppercase the prefix there, and case does matter."

I've looked at RFC 2141 about the URN syntax
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2141.txt

In it, there are the following statements:
"The leading "urn:" sequence is case-insensitive" (section 2);
"Further, the Namespace Identifier is case insensitive, so that "ISBN" and "isbn" refer to the same namespace." (section 2.1).

Under section 6, it is said that the following three statements are lexically equivalent: URN:foo:a123,456; urn:foo:a123,456, and urn:FOO:a123,456.

So in what way does case matter? Is it because it is common practice to lower case the prefix and applications have been built on that basis?

Again many thanks for answering my question. I'm trying to learn.

Cheers

Corine