[open-bibliography] 'Art Meets Astrophysics': Galaxy Zoo and Citizen Science - does this extend to Bibliography?

Jim Pitman pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Oct 2 17:29:54 UTC 2010

Thomas Krichel <krichel at openlib.org> wrote:

>   Jim Pitman writes
> >  Open Library is a significant start for books.  Connotea,
> > CiteUlike, BibSonomy, Mendeley, Zotero, Sciplore, ....  are starts
> > in the journal article space.
>
>   and so is 3lib.org
>   and that is available in bulk.

True. But the article metadata in 3lib.org is mostly incomplete (e.g. missing volume and page numbers)
so typically inferior to what is available from the sources it harvests.
What we need to generate is higher quality metadata, at least bibtex quality,
on a scale comparable scale to 3lib.
Here we run into IP issues. Many of the data providers for  3lib are unwilling to
release their complete metadata with a suitable license. But there are workarounds, e.g.
by crowdsourcing the upgrading process, and provision of generic webservices for matching
and cleaning article records using metadata from various sources.

--Jim

Jim Pitman
Director, Bibliographic Knowledge Network Project
http://www.bibkn.org/

Professor of Statistics and Mathematics
University of California
367 Evans Hall # 3860