[open-bibliography] Bibliography to X tool

Thomas Krichel krichel at openlib.org
Sun Oct 3 11:56:48 UTC 2010

  Peter Murray-Rust writes

> It is not too difficult to extract bibliography systematically and our
> Crystaleye project (http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/crystaleye/summary/index.html
> .does this. Its  pub-crawler software  systematically visits publisher sites
> (http://bitbucket.org/ned24/pub-crawler ). We believe that publishers'
> bibliographic information (journal/papewr/pages/authors is formally free of
> IP restrictions - i.e.if we were taken to court we would win.). However the
> actual practice is unclear and I don't particularly wish to go to court at
> this moment.

  But the title / authors / url information should be freely
  usable. Do you have data from that project available?

> Jim - I think we have so much in common  that we should set up a skype. You
> wouls also be very welcome in the #jiscopenbib project - we can't give
> immediately you money but we can give you comradeship, software and trhe
> benefits of scale

  I'd be happy to take part in this too by using the data
  in AuthorClaim and providing data from author back.
  But I have yet to see data from these projects.

> As an example Ben has taken the exposed HTML bibliographic entries from Acta
> Crystallographica E (ca 10,000) and I am taking the results to International
> Union of Crystallography (the Acta C publisher) tomorrow. We will have some
> exciting applications based on their (very good) metadata

  Is that data available somewhere?

> So I am very optimistic that we can create a fully Open (i.e. not licensed
> from elsewhere) Serials Bibliography that scales.

  I'd be happy to see that. As far as I understand the larger
  sources are already on the OKFN sponsored 3lib.org.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                http://authorclaim.org/profile/pkr1
                                               skype: thomaskrichel