[open-bibliography] Second RLUK Conference - Edinburgh - 10-12 November 2010

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 15 11:29:08 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:57 AM, E. Hoorn <E.Hoorn at rug.nl> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> You could also point to the present EU consultation on access and re-use of
> the Public Sector Information:
> http://ec.europa.eu/yourvoice/ipm/forms/dispatch?form=psidirective2010
>
> *The Digital Agenda for Europe lists the revision of the Directive
> 2003/98/EC on the re-use of public sector information (PSI Directive) among
> its first key actions. It highlights that governments can stimulate content
> markets by making PSI available on transparent, effective and
> non-discriminatory terms. This is an important source of potential growth of
> innovative on-line services.
> The consultation includes questions on 1) the PSI re-use context and
> possible action to consider, 2) substantive issues regulated by the PSI
> Directive, 3) practical measures, 4) changes that have taken place and
> barriers that still exist, and 5) other issues to comment regarding the
> review of the PSI Directive.
> *

Thanks. A rapid response is very encouraging.

> * *
> There are questions on the scope of the Directive. Should it also apply to
> cultural heritage and academic results?
>
> And also this question might be relevant to the Open Bibliografic Data
> initiative:
> *Should "soft law" measures be taken possibly in addition to a
> modification of the Directive, such as
> Commission guidance or recommendations,regarding the application /
> interpretation of the PSI Directive?
> If yes, which "soft law" measures would you favour?*
> An answer could point at Lex Informatica- approaches to soft law: preferred
> technical formats, semantic standards,technical protocols, etc.

If I understand "soft law" I assume I would favour it. The problem is that
it isn't a defence against hard law. And at present we are paralysed by the
fear of hard law in many areas.

So if soft law is a mechanism to persuade the IPR community that
bibliography should be public, great.

Also if the PSI is releasing bibliography, that that could be useful.

> The question:
> *Do you think that more measures should be taken to facilitate the search
> for documents available for re-use?
> *Will presumably inspire contributors to this list.*
>
> *

I can't imagine anyone not answering  this as "Yes" other than people who
make money out of walled gardens.

My question is - if you anser "yes" to this what action are you going to
take :-)

* *Best,

--
Peter Murray-Rust