[open-bibliography] CUL dataset release

Jim Pitman pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Oct 19 20:38:07 UTC 2010

Ben O'Steen <bosteen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, the main description and grouping of this dataset is
> simply "the metadata records that Cambridge University Library feel that
> haven't been copied or combined with data from OCLC and other suppliers"

Thanks Ben, it  would be very useful if that description could be
posted in the OKFN record for the dataset.
A general question with all these library releases, is what is the increment
in value over the OL dataset which already has a nice API?
What agent is willing to track the deltas as new datasets come online?
Another question is the extent to which OL data qualifies according to the
OKFN's open data criteria. I find the OL terms of use statement http://www.archive.org/about/terms.php
fairly opaque. OL used to have a statement that they regarded their data as public
domain, but  this seems to have been withdrawn. Maybe Karen could comment on this?

> I would very much favour a wiki or similar for CKAN packages, where data
> triage and characterisation can be discussed on a per-package basis.

My strong support for this.
To avoid duplication of effort it is important to have a central place where agents planning or
conducting data triage and characterisations can report their plans and activities. Then we should
try to encourage a culture in this group to post to that place, and to look there before embarking
on such efforts.

I also strongly agree with Peter that we should encourage dumps of open data first, and
ask questions about quantity and quality later. The rate of dumps of library data is currently
exceeding the capacity of this community to process them into usable forms. But that should not slow
down the open dumping.  I think that the process of data cleaning and enhancement by agents with
domain-specific interests would be accelerated if some agents could do preliminary triage and
characterisations and report on the results. Then other agents might be motivated to step in and
improve the data further.

--Jim