[open-bibliography] CUL dataset release

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Tue Oct 19 21:15:24 UTC 2010

I agree with Jim that a small amount of information would make
datasets like this more useful. It's like we need a "dublin core for
data sets." I happen to be at this year's DC meeting, which starts
tomorrow, and I know that there are folks here who are interested in
metadata for data sets. I'll keep an ear to that ground to see if I
can find out who is in that conversation.

The other thing that concerns me is updating of data sets. Some data
is useful even without updates (especially if more data may come from
different sources), but some data really needs to be updated to be
useful (e.g. price data, ownership data, rights data). That gets us
into the 'provenance' question that w3c is looking at, but also into
versioning of data (so you know if it's from yesterday or 5 years ago).

This doesn't mean that it's not a good idea for people to put their
data out there even if these details haven't been worked out. We need
large amounts of data to experiment with this whole linked open data
concept. Soon, though, I hope we'll get far enough along that we will
want to resolve some of these other issues that will make the data
even more useful. We can have the discussion today even if we can't
resolve the issues for a while.

kc

--
Karen Coyle