[open-bibliography] Changes on openbiblio wiki

Laura James laura at caret.cam.ac.uk
Wed Oct 20 08:20:00 UTC 2010

On 19 Oct 2010, at 15:57, Jim Pitman wrote:
> Those interested in bibliographic data management and cleaning workflows need a list of available software tools,
> data sources and webservices. I am thinking especially about article metadata, which is very different to book metadata from
> a socio-economic perspective.
> For the tools, comments on their purpose, usability, flexibility, ...... Whether they are
> proprietary or open source, well maintained, ....
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_reference_management_software
>
> is a great start, and we should not duplicate this. I would suggest rather scripting the data out of those tables
> and supplementing with our own notes.
> We especially need some commentary on the suitability of some these software systems
> e.g. JabRef, Zotero, BibSonomy, Mendeley, .....  for openbiblio purposes. T

At CARET we're looking into reference managers from a slightly different point of view - just to learn more about which are used at Cambridge and for what purposes, mostly (as part of a different JISC project - ConnectedWorks).  I think we could add some questions for our survey/interviews/etc around open bibliography; I know there are already concerns in some areas of the campus around tool sustainability just for academic use (and open source plays a role here) and so this might be fruitful.  It would be interesting to both raise awareness of openbiblio as a possibility as well as finding out whether our academics have an appetite for it.

Best regards,

Laura

--
Dr Laura James

Centre for Applied Research in Educational Technologies, University of Cambridge
Direct: +44 (0) 1223 765 377        Mobile: +44 (0) 78 1234 6448
CARET, First floor, 16 Mill Lane, Cambridge, CB2 1SB, UK
http://www.caret.cam.ac.uk