[open-bibliography] Dataset Metadata

Adrian Pohl adrian.pohl at okfn.org
Wed Oct 20 11:19:23 UTC 2010

Hello,

we have already experimented with dcat at the hbz. This might be of
interest to Christopher and others thinking about describing open data
sets, see my post to this list several weeks ago:[1]

<quote>
I have finally documented in English our experiences with the Data
Catalog Vocabulary for describing open bibliographic data sets at
https://wiki1.hbz-nrw.de/display/SEM/Using+dcat+for+Open+Bibliographic+Data.
On this page you'll find some description examples, a documentation of
our general problems and our specific problems with dcat as well as
suggestions how to improve dcat.

These experiments were part of some thinking about the
conceptualization of an open bibliographic data infrastructure. Felix
and I published a paper on this some weeks ago, which unfortunately
only exists in German, see
http://www.hbz-nrw.de/dokumentencenter/produkte/lod/aktuell/pohl_ostrowski_2010_open-data-infrastruktur.pdf.
For now our work on this will stop. As soon as more libraries publish
their data under an open license we certainly will pick up these
thoughts...
</quote>

In my perception the work on the Data Catalog Vocabulary seems to
stand still for some time now which is a pity. There are people on
this list (Ed Summers and William Waites) who are involved in the work
on dcat: Do you share this perception? Perhaps we can stimulate a
reuptake of the work on dcat. I think a proper RDF vocabulary for
describing data sets is crucial for the development of Open Data.

Since publishing this another possible problem with dcat came up to
me: I wonder whether it is good that dcat primarily describes
_catatalogs_ as aggregation of records which describe data sets. I
believe that an approach which focuses on a vocabulary for describing
data sets in the first place would be better. Such a vocabulary is
easier to build, to understand and use and individual descriptions
could be aggregated ex post to build catalogs.

BTW, I am very much favouring an approach of describing decentralizied
entities - like data sets or organisations - in a DECENTRAL manner,
which means: I would like to describe the Open Data from the hbz at
ONE place on our web site, enrich it with RDFa and then provide
central registries like CKAN with the URL where they can harvest this
information. It is very uncomfortable and unneccessary in times of
Linked Data having to describe the same resources in different places.
E.g., momentarily I describe hbz Open Data in our wiki[2] and in CKAN
[3] and I was asked to describe the data in offenedaten.de[4] -  a
German CKAN installation - as well. (I was told that different CKAN
installations can't interchange data yet so that I'd have to provide
both installations with the same descriptions.) I don't want to do
this. I don't want to describe the same thing multiple times in
different places. I want to describe the data sets one-time, at best
on my web page and enable anybody else - by using RDFa - to harvest
it... As far as I know it was Mark Birbeck who was the first to choose
this approach for solving the problem he put as follows: "[H]ow could
they create a centralised web-site of information that the public
could search and access, when the source of that information could be
any government department database or any public sector web-site?"[5]

There's another project which should be taken into account in this
discussion which also develops a vocabulary for data sets - mainly
research data: DataCite[6].

<quote>
DataCite is an international consortium to
- establish easier access to scientific research data on the Internet
- increase acceptance of research data as legitimate, citable
contributions to the scientific record, and to
- support data archiving that will permit results to be verified and
re-purposed for future study.[7]
</quote>

In September they released the datacite metadata kernel - a set of 18
metadata elements for describing research data sets - and asked for
review.[8] I haven't had time to take a deeper look at it yet but I
believe that the different vocabularies for describing data sets
should be harmonized somehow.

In short, I think it is vital to develop vocabularies for describing
data sets which can be used in CKAN as well as on individual
institutional web sites. And I think that it is one of the greater
problems with CKAN that there is now standard way of describing a
dataset in a more granular manner than now. Thus I think it is vital
to develop vocabularies for describing data sets which can be used in
CKAN as well as in other registries or on one's web site. dcat and
datacite seem to be a good start, they just has to be taken to a
usable level...

Adrian

[1] http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/open-bibliography/2010-August/000377.html

[2] https://wiki1.hbz-nrw.de/display/SEM/Recently+published+Open+Data+exports