[open-bibliography] Library support and REST

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Mon Oct 25 17:38:14 UTC 2010

Quoting Jim Pitman <pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU>:

> Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote in his blog
> http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=2668 :
>
> "Bibliography is the soul of scholarship. I thought that by
> collecting bibliography and turning it into an intelligent semantic
> resource then we would start a new era in the library."
>
> Me too.  Its disappointing but understandable that many librarians
> dont want to assist the transition.
> Perhaps someone on this list could suggest how to get the library
> community more engaged in this effort?

Jim, this work is underway, at least on two fronts. One is that the
W3C has an incubator group for linked library data [1] that will make
some specific recommendations for how to move this forward. The other
is that some of us in library-land have been writing, speaking, and
doing. There are RDF representations for a number of library
vocabularies [2] [3], I published two guides for the US library
association [4] [5] (and will be speaking next month in Germany and
England on the topic, as well as in Norway in January), and this week
is the first of a series of 3 webinars done by the library association
to provide continuing education in this area. We also did a one-day
training session on linked data at the main US library meeting and
will have an ongoing group meeting about linked data in libraries at
those conferences twice a year. There are numerous efforts outside of
the US which I am not as well versed in, but Germany has a Semantic
Web in Libraries conference that is now an annual event, as I
understand it. And, as you've seen, some libraries are beginning to
publish their data in a linked data format.

So, what else should we be doing? :-)

What we lack at this point is applications, but of course they are
harder to create than the data. Also, we depend on vendors to provide
the applications that allow libraries to create data and provide user
services. Analogous to other complex software, like word processing,
this isn't something that you can just whip up but something you need
to buy. And, guess what! the economy is in the toilet and no one has
any money to buy new software. So that part is being slow, but I think
we'll get there.

kc

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Main_Page
[2] http://id.loc.gov