[open-bibliography] Library support and REST

Paul Walk p.walk at ukoln.ac.uk
Tue Oct 26 10:38:46 UTC 2010

Some hurried thought from the bus:

Perhaps it would be interesting & useful to describe the role of the librarian in a future where bibliographic data is crowd-sourced from enthusiast volunteers. Sometimes it does seem as though we ask librarians to collude in the demise of their profession. This may not be the case, but it can appear so - after all, cataloguing is a large part of librarianship.

Peter: I think it's disingenuous to suggest librarians are disinterested in this issue. I realise you are trying to provoke a response - but by your own admission this does not seem to be working. Perhaps a different approach is required if we want librarians to engage. But, as you sometimes seem to hint, perhaps we really don't need them to....?

Paul

Paul Walk
(sent from phone)